|Earliest: March 16, 2003||Latest: May 16, 2019||Total: 274|
|March 7, 2019|
As you walk down Exeter Street from Boylston, you may encounter a strange looking building. This is the Boston's Courtyard Copley Square Hotel. This 3-Star rated hotel has 63 king rooms, 14 Queen-double rooms, and 4 suites on 10 floors. It's also 128 years old, one of the oldest hotels on this street.
View of the Courtyard Copley Square from Boylston Street.
The Boston's Courtyard Copley Square hotel and Copley Square Hotel are not the same business. They have similar names but are two different businesses.
The was once called the Exeter Chambers Hotel, which opened on October 1, 1891. It closed on November 8, 1931.
The Hotel was established by Frederick Samuel Risteen - former Massachusetts State Senator. He was also the owner of the Clarendon Hotel.
When Frederick Samuel Risteen died in 1903 the hotel was taken over by John Lacey, then it was owned by Ernest Spracklen. In 1907, the hotel was sold at an auction for $327,000 ($8,896,470.33 in 2018 dollars)
There isn't much information on the hotel activity between 1907 and 2004. I checked various sites around the web and couldn't find any information about it.
Hotel was fully restored in 2004 after the Marriot purchased the property. (There is a sign next to the main entrance)
The building exterior features Victorian Eclecticism and Richardsonian Romanesque architectural elements.
Inside the hotel is a stained glass window that greets every guest.
Our century-old arched stained glass window has served as a beautiful entryway greeting hotel guest since 1891.
The emblem EC, can be seen in the center of the glass as the initials of the original hotel called Exeter Chambers.
THis window is representatives of the stained glass that was introduced in the Victorian and Edwardian eras of the 1800's.
However in the late 1800s, American glass makers expanded upon the European cathedral glass. Their creations during this American Art Nouveau period is known as the opalescent glass.
From 1891 to present day, this kaleidoscope of color is a preserved symbol of over 100 years of hospitality here at 88 Exeter Street, Boston.
This window symbolically reflects the illumination of visions for tomorrow guests who have pursued their dream at this residence over the years.
"88 Exeter...the Dream Continues..."
The Courtyard Marriott at 88 Exeter has been ranked #5 in the nation of all Courtyards based upon guest's service scores.
|February 28, 2019|
Here is an update on the upcoming memorials being built around Boston:
The Boston Marathon Memorial - on two locations on Boylston Street.
The Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King memorial on the Boston Commons
Picture taken on February 27, 2019.
The work on the Boston Marathon Memorial is well underway. Work on the memorial started shortly after posting about it back in November. Boston Mayor Marty Walsh has stated that the memorial should be ready by this years Boston Marathon.
Pablo Eduardo received a grant of $1.15 million to create and install the memorial.
The 123rd Boston Marathon is only 45 days from now on April 15th. This will the six anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombing.
April 15th is also Boston One Day - where wreaths are placed at the sights of the bombing and citizens are encouraged to perform an act of charity.
There has been some issues raising money for the Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King memorial on the Boston Commons. The cost of the memorial is estimated to be $5 million. (See the proposed designs on the original blog post.)
In January, Two organizations have helped jump-start the community commitment to having a memorial:
The final design has still not been selected. Two designs have been eliminated: ?Avenue of Peace? and ?Empty Pulpit.? The Boston Parks And Recreation Department has asked a special engineering firm to figure out the real cost of the remaining 3 designs.
The project appears to be on hold pending the results of the independent firm.
|February 21, 2019|
If your looking for any type of map, chances are you'll find it at the Norman B. Leventhal Map & Education Center in the Boston Public Library in Copley Square.
There are 200,000 historic and contemporary maps and 5,000 atlases. The Largest Collection in New England is the Osher Map Library at the University of Maine - 300,000 maps
There are all sorts of map books - from Maps of the Holy Land to detailed printed maps of every city and town in New England. Looking for a road map of Aruba? You'll find it in the Map Room.
There's plenty of creative map games in the back of map room - fun for all ages! What a fun way to spend a few hours - playing map games in the Map Room. (Try the Scrambled States of America Game!)
Enjoy learning about geography with a large collection of maps to help with the learning.
You can see a old map of Boston overlay to what the city looks like today. You can see how Washington Street was an important street.
|February 14, 2019|
Located in the center of the State House is Memorial Hall. This is where some historical paintings and historic flags are located. The hall was created as a memorial to those that fought and died in the Civil War.
|February 7, 2019|
The Massachusetts Senate Chamber is an interesting place to visit. A lot of history has been made in this room. When the Senate is not in session you can walk on part of the Senate floor.
The Senate Chamber is located directly below the Massachusetts State House Gold Dome.
There are 39 chairs around the circle of desks. The Senate President sits at the rostrum under a golden eagle and American Flag.
There are nine busts in the Senate Chamber
Guns in the Gallery
There are two guns that are hanging in the gallery - both from the early days of the American Revolutionary War:
If you look at the arches above you can see pendants with emblems for Commerce, Agriculture, Peace and War.
From January 1798 to June 1896 all the Senate meetings were held in the Old Senate Chamber - now the Senate Reception Room.
In 2017, the Massachusetts Legislator approved a $23 million renovation. This will be the first major renovation to support the standard of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The project was completed last month.
|January 31, 2019|
As you walk along Boylston Street in the winter, you may notice a strange looking garden in front of the Old South Church. It's the famous Winter Stick Garden:
Red Osier Drift
Spruce, solid casein stain, salt marsh hay
A winter garden of color for Old South Church's street front. This stick garden is a sculptural abstraction of a drift of Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea) a native shrub found across the eastern United States, and appearing in our planters boxes near the front door.
The sticker was stained and installed by a team of members of Old South Church as a labor of love and gift to the city. Besides being a thing of beauty, the stick garden is also a proclamation of our faith: that beauty will spring from barrenness, form out of chaos, life out of death. Here in the coldest and darkest time of year, we make bold to proclaim that spring and life are on the way.
|January 24, 2019|
At one of the Beacon Street entrances to the Boston Commons, is Boston's Founders Monument. It's a special monument to the founders of the City of Boston.
The sculpture shows William Blackstone (also known as Blaxton) greeting John Winthrop and his company. TO the right of Winthrop, are John Wilson, clergyman; Ann Pollard, first white woman to arrive in Boston, and a female figure representing Boston. At the left are two Native Americans. In the background, men are pulling the boats onto the shore.
The memorial was requested by the City of Boston to commemorate the Boston's Tercentenary.
The 15' by 45' by 20' monument with a 5.5' by 11' bronze relief sculpture was created by sculptor John Francis Paramino.
It was dedicated on September 16, 1930 at 2:30 pm.
The memorial cost $45,000 ($661,139.47 in 2018) and paid for by the City of Boston.
The two men on the memorial are William Blackstone (also spelled Blaxton), the first white settler and owner of the Boston Commons and Gov. John Winthrop the official founder and organizer of both the Bay Colony and Boston.
The memorial is located at the location of the ancient freshwater spring. The spring is the main reason people came to Boston - they weren't going to drinking the water, the early settlers wanted the water to make beer.
The memorial features a small fountain which is symbolic to the spring that was at the site 300 years ago.
According to Henry Lee, the former president of the Friends of the Public Gardens, there's one interesting quirk about the memorial. The image of Blackstone looks very similar to James Michael Curley - the mayor of Boston when the statue was unveiled.
The memorial was restored in 1982 by the City of Boston Environment Department.
The text on the monument may be hard to read. here's the quote from
John Winthrop gave this as part of a speech as his crew was disembarking the Arabella to the shores of Boston for the first time:
For wee must consider that wee shall be as a citty on a hill the lies of all people are uppon us so that if wee shall deale falsely with our god in this worke we have undertaken...Wee shall be made a story and a by-word through the world - john winthrop on board the Arbella 1630
William Bradford about Plymouth Plantation
thus out of small beginnings greater things have been produced by his hand that made all things out of nothing...and as one small candle may light a thousand so the light here kindled hath shone to many yea in some sorte to our whole nation - William Bradford at charles-towne 1630
Finally a quote during the dedication
in gratitude to god for the blessings enjoyed under a free government the city of boston has erected this memorial on the three hundred anniversary of its founding -- September 17th 1630 - 1930 james michael curley mayor charles allerton coolidge architect - john francis pararmino sculptor
The Monument is located at the entrance to the Boston Public Commons at the intersection of Beacon Street and Spruce Street. There is a traffic light on Beacon Street.
Public Transportation: Take the Green Line to Park Street, and take the paths to Frog Pond. Then take Brinner Path towards Beacon Street and walk down the Beacon Street Mall. It's about a 5-minute walk.
|January 17, 2019|
Last year I blogged about some interesting facts on the Great Molasses Flood. However, one of the things that were left out was the mention of a small sign at the site.
The sign is small and is somewhat hidden along a stone wall. Most people may not notice the marker.
Here's the text on the marker:
Boston Molasses Flood
On January 15, 1919, a molasses tank at 529 Commercial Street exploded under pressure, killing 21 people. A 40-foot wave of molasses buckled the elevated railroad tracks, crushed buildings and inundated the neighborhood. Structural defects in the tank combined with unseasonably warm temperatures contributed to the disaster.
- The Bostonian Society
The marker is located between the two baseball fields on Commercial Street. Here's a picture of the area with a red arrow pointing to the Great Molasses Flood Marker.
If you want to set your GPS, heres the exact location on Google Maps.
|January 10, 2019|
The Boston Public Gardens will soon get a new memorial for Martin Luther King, Jr. The memorial is to not only commemorate the work that Marin Luther King and Coretta Scott King did but also to demonstrate that much work needs to be done.
The memorial will be located in the Boston Public Commons between the Armstrong Path and Liberty Mall near the State House.
Location of the King Monument.
Boston was where Marin Luther King and Coretta Scott King met for the first time while they both were going to school. Martin Luther King went to Boston University and Coretta Scott King went to New England Conservatory of Music.
The King Boston organization plans to raise $15 million for the Boston Commons project. So far, the group has raised about $4.5 million. Paul English, technology entrepreneur, donated $1 million, and the Lewis Family Foundation had also donated $1 million.
Early last year, the King Boston organization put out a design requests for the memorial. They received 126 submissions from around the world. In May, they narrowed the field down to five finalists.
'Boston's King Memorial'
David Adjaye and Adam Pendleton with FuturePace
'Empty Pulpit Monument'
Barbara Chase-Riboud with Michael Rosenfeld Gallery
Hank Willis Thomas with MASS Design Group
'The Ripple Effects'
Wodiczko + Bonder and Maryann Thompson Architects
'Avenue Of Peace'
Designs came from the King Boston foundation's website - added the team names to the images.
King Boston was to announce the winner of the design in December 2018. No announcement has been made yet. (Perhaps an announcement will be made on Marin Lither King day?)
|January 3, 2019|
The Oneida Football Club, founded in Boston, Massachusetts in 1862, was the first organized team to play any kind of football in the United States.
In 1925, a monument was placed nearby the field that the OneIda Football club played.
Text on the Marker
On this field the Oneida Football Club of Boston, the first organized football club in the United States played against all comers from 1862 to 1865 The Oneida Goal was never crossed. This monument is placed on Boston Commons on November 1925, by the seven surviving members of the team.
The monument is located near the Beacon Street Mall path in the Parade Grounds area of the Boston Public Gardens. It's between the Solder's and Sailors Monument and Beacon Street. The nearest T stop would be the Boylston Street station.