Framingham Tercentenary Marker
Fun Facts about the Tercentenary Marker in Framingham
On Waverly Street, Route 135, in Framingham there is a historical marker near the Framingham/Natick town line. This marker was installed in the 1930s to remind people of the history of Framingham.
Eight Interesting Things About the Marker
- In 1930, 275 markers were installed around the state to mark the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- Offically these markers are called "Tercentenary Markers"
- The Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission was formed in 1928 with Former Attorney General Herbert Parker as the Chairman. Samuel E. Morison, a professor of history at Harvard University, was the commission history advisor.
- Framingham has designated three signs by the Tercentenary Commission: Thomas Eames, Pike-Haven Homestead and the Framingham Sign.
- There is supposed to be similar Framingham Sign on Route 126 near the Framingham/Ashland line but that sign is now missing.
- These markers are carefully made of cast iron, with raised letters on both sides and a black border. The seal of the Commonwealth, in blue and gold, is on top.
- The markers were put up by the Massachusetts Department of Public Works. The department was allocated $15,000 in the 1930 budget for the signs. There has been no amount allocated for maintaining the signs or replacing them.
- The markers are located as far north as Amesbury, far west as Deerfield and as far South as Quincy.
This is the text on the sign
In 1660 and 1662 a large part of the present town was granted to Thomas Danforth of Cambridge, Deputy Governor of Massachu-setts, President of the District of Maine and Treasurer of Harvard College. Named after Framingham, Suffolk, in 1675.