|Earliest: July 28, 2003||Latest: June 28, 2020||Total: 117|
Simple Vector USA Map
I was doing some search on the internet for a good vector USA map and really couldn't find any. There were a few but they were hand drawn and made Massachusetts look pretty ugly. I decided to search my personal vector collection for a good map. I have IMSI 101,000 Masterclips, 25,000 Image Pak Click Art and Mega Gallery Vector clip-arts.
To use these images, you need a vector reading program such as Illustrator, Affinity Designer and Autodesk Graphic.
USA Vector Image
I found a good USA vector image. Decided to clean it up and make it free for anyone to use. This is perfect if you need a map to color the states, like for the 2016 Election. If your looking for a better map, consider purchasing one from Creative Market.
The graphic is in EPS, and it looks much better than the JPG compress in the above image. You have full control of the border size, so if you want the state borders to be bigger you can do that.
I also found a neat "November 8th" graphic. Kind of the neat way to promote the election day this year. The IMSI MasterClips has a folder of EPS images that feature every day of the year. They also have a calendar which features the day and week. (For example, Tuesday 8th.) If you need a particular day, leave a message in the comments and I'll get you one.
More Graphics to Come
I'll post more cool graphics as I find them.
50th Anniversary Music
The past few week's I was busy putting together a video collection of various photos for my parents 50th Anniversary. Here are some 1950's and 1960's music that I used in a video or as part of the background music:
|Moon River||Andy Williams|
|It's Almost Tomorrow||Jimmy Velvet|
|11th Hour Melody||Al Hibbler|
|I Can't Stop Loving You||Ray Charles|
|Georgia On My Mind||Ray Charles|
|Twilight Time||The Platters|
|Love Letters In the Sand||Pat Boone|
|It's All In The Game||Tommy Edwards|
|Smoke Gets In Your Eyes||The Platters|
|Save the Last Dance for Me||The Drifters|
|Galway Bay||Bing Crosby|
|Roses Are Red||Bobby Vinton|
|Put Your Head On My Shoulder||Paul Anka|
|Lonely Boy||Paul Anka|
|Cathy's Clown||The Everly Brothers|
|At the Hop||Danny & The Juniors|
|Unchained Melody||Righteous Brothers|
|Teen Angel||Mark Dinning|
|Chances Are||Johnny Mathis|
|Unforgettable||Nat King Cole|
|I Left My Heart In San Francisco||Andy Williams|
|The Stroll||The Diamonds|
Here are some additional song to add to the collection:
|Through The Years||Kenny Rogers|
|Never Forget||Take that Listen|
|Remember When||Alan Jackson|
|Looks Like We Made It||Barry Manilow|
If you're putting together a special video collection, good luck with it. Make sure to gather all the pictures you need before you sort out the music.
Every Four Years
In the United States, some special happens every four years:
Every four years, is a leap year and there are 366 days. February 29 as an intercalary day.
Leap years are needed to keep our modern day calendar year with the solar year, or the length of time that it takes the Earth to complete its orbit around the sun. This takes around 365 xBC days (officially 365.242).
This means that if we didn't add an extra day every four years, we would lose around six hours from our calendar each year, and every 100 years, our calendar would be out of line by 24 days.
Leap year started with the Gregorian calendar which started on October 15, 1582.
In 1986, the International Olympic Committee changed the schedule and now an Olympic event happens every 2 years. The first Olympic to encounter the change was the 1992 Winter Olympics, which had a 2 year duration between the games. This changed allows athletes to participate in both Olympics. (Wouldn't you want to see Usain Bolt in the speed skating competition?)
Since 1789 the United States has had a Presidential Election every four years
Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit
Did you hear about the superstition about saying 'rabbit, rabbit, rabbit' at the first of the month for good luck and money?
It's a weird saying that people believe will bring you good luck sometime during the month.
Not sure if it's all true, and it can't hurt to try it. So, why not try it? This Friday, when you wake up, say "rabbit, rabbit, rabbit" for good luck! The worst thing that will happen is your significant other will give you a strange look.
This "First of the Month" superstition saying is popular in the New England and in Europe.
Wikipedia does a good job covering this story, I wasn't able to find any more specific details. The best I can do is spread the superstition.
Olympus Media File Names
There are some occasions where I need to search for a particular photo or video that I have taken with my Olympus XZ-2 iHS camera. I created this quick cheat sheet to help me. Perhaps it will help someone else.
Here are a couple of the known types for the Olympus XZ-2 iHS camera:
- Sample file names:
- Movie: P2041485.MOV
- Image: P1080331.ORF (Raw)
- Image: P9170410.JPG
When I am searching using the Finder, I'll look for image filenames that being with 'P'
Here's what you see in the Get Info dialog box:
Boston Post Newspaper - 1869
Earlier this week I was reading through a Boston Post front page from July 5, 1869. When I saw the following:
"The warm term was on yesterday. Fat people were fussy, and lean ones found it hard to keep cool..."
It's nice to know that was more important than Dr J. W. Graves resignation from the United States Marine Asylum.
IJMC - Some Stuff to Know
The International Junk Mail Clearinghouse was a popular email distribution service a few yers ago, before Facebook/Twitter became a popular thing. As of February, 2002 they stop sending out emails.
Here's a sample email you would get:
I really need to finish up this three OS in one drive project. Every time I spend a night working on it, I fail to send out posts for a few days or so. This last time, a few nights ago, I came real close. All I thought I had left to do was to figure out the ARC path name so that Windows NT boot loader would load Windows off of a FATpartition (lost yet?). Then I rebooted into NT...all good...reboot into Linux...ow. Turns out that the Winpartition had overwritten half of one Linux partition and the entire Linux swap partition. Oi. Close...so close. -dave
- Indecision is the key to flexibility.
- You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the track.
- There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.
- Happiness is merely the remission of pain.
- Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
- Sometimes too much to drink is not enough.
- The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.
- The careful application of terror is also a form of communication.
- Someone who thinks logically is a nice contrast to the real world.
- Things are more like they are today than they ever were before.
- Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
- Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
- Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.
- I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.
- Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism.
- If you think there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.
- All things being equal, fat people use more soap.
- If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.
- One seventh of your life is spent on Monday.
- By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends.
- Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
- The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets.
- There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
- This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.
- Never wrestle a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.
- The trouble with life is, you're halfway through it before you realize it's a do-it-yourself thing.
- For every action there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
- The young wish to give their elders the full benefits of their inexperience.
- The elders like to sit back while their young do all their work.
- People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.
- Some people would not recognize subtlety if it hit them on the head.
- The value of the average conversation could be enormously improved by the constant use of four simple words: "I do not know."
- The world isn't worse. It's just that the news coverage is so much better.
\\|//// ( O O ) Hi. -------------------------------oOOo--U--oOOo-------------------------------- Yet Another E-Mail Sent By The International Junk Mail Clearinghouse (IJMC). Unless otherwise specified, distribute freely. All questions, comments, submissions, and requests should be directed to dave at email@example.com IJMC Mailings - email firstname.lastname@example.org with "info ijmc-l" as body IJMC Subscriptions and WebSite - http://www.ijmc.com/ This is Mac. \\|//// He wants to travel the world. ( O O ) Please add him to your .sig and help him. ---oOOo--U--oOOo---
Daylight Savings Time
While I was in college, I was working the late shift at Stop and Shop on some weekends. One of those weekends was during the start of Daylight Savings Time.
Which brings up a question: How do companies handle hourly employees when they work during the Daylight time change?
For my situation, I was responsible for hours that I actually worked regardless of what time it was when I punched out. So if I worked when Day Light Savings began I didn't get a free hour worth of work, I still had to put in at least 8 hours of work. I recall that the store manager took my time card and make a note of the hours worked. This is because the time card machine didn't properly compensate the actual working time.
This matches what the IRS recommends:
On the Sunday that Daylight Savings Time starts at 2:00 a.m., the employee does not work the hour from 2:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. because at 2:00 a.m. all of the clocks are turned forward to 3:00 a.m. Thus, on this day the employee only worked 7 hours, even though the schedule was for 8 hours.
The FLSA requires that employees must be credited with all of the hours actually worked. Therefore, if the employee is in a work situation similar to that described in the above example, he or she worked 7 hours on the day that Daylight Savings Time begins. This assumes, of course, that the employee actually worked the scheduled shift as in our example.
VHS care information
I found this "VHS care information" file while looking through some old CDs from the late 1990's.
Here are some tips, from Kodak, on how to best take care of your video tapes. I have a large VHS tape collection and I haven?t followed any of these instructions. The tapes seem to be fine after 20+ years...
- Always put your cassette back in its protective sleeve when not in use. Dust and dirt will damage your tape and contaminate your VCR or camcorder.
- Don't store your tapes near strong magnetic fields (near your power panel or high current users like electric dryers or stoves, air conditioners, or stereo speakers, etc.) The recorded information could be erased over time if you do.
- Don't store your tapes in areas of high humidity (basements). This environment provides the condition that allow mold and mildew to grow and will damage tapes and sleeves. Storing tapes at 70 degrees F (40-percent RH or lower) can keep them healthy for 30 years or more.
- Don't leave cassettes in direct sunlight. The sun can heat a black shell to well above the temperature necessary to permanently warp the shell.
- Take proper care of your VCR and camcorder. See that it gets cleaned and lubricated to keep it in top condition. Video heads only need to be cleaned if there is a degradation in video signal, but the tape path and capstan pinch roller need cleaning more frequently especially in dusty environments or in situations where tapes have been left out without their protective sleeves. A dirty tape path can cause physical damage to the tape especially the rubber pinch roller. When it gets dirty and/or dried out, it will not drive the tape correctly. Instead it will cause the tape to wander up or down, damaging the edges of the tape against the guides. If you open the door of the cassette and see wrinkled upper or lower edges on the tape, it is almost certain to have been caused by a capstan pinch roller that needs to be either cleaned or replaced.
- Rewind the tape before storing it. This keeps the beginning of the tape from being creased by the end of the leader or the clamp. The best position for storage is to stand the cassette on its end with the heavy end down. Don't lay them flat (especially upside down).
- Don't use rewind equipment to rewind tapes after playing. Your VCR will do a much better and safer job rewinding that precious tape. VCR rewind mechanisms almost never fail because of over use; they fail because of time and elevated temperatures whether used or not.
- Don't buy bargain, no-name tape. It has a bargain price for a reason. There is substantial risk that it will cause head clogs due to oxide shedding or contaminants. Stick with high-quality brand names.
Financial Decisions in the New Year
Shopping around is one of the most important aspects of being a budget conscious individual. In fact, without a budget, it's almost impossible to manage finances and maintain a positive backbone of cash in case of an emergency.
With the state of the economy as it is, planning for the future and saving funds today is one of the most important things that families strive to do. In fact, budgets in the past few years have been even more important than in past days.
There are plenty of ways that you can stick to your budget, and even help yourself to save a few dollars down the road.
Shop for different auto loans- Don't just assume your current auto loan is providing you with the best possible interest rate for your situation. Perhaps your credit score has jumped since you entered into the loan, qualifying yourself for a better rate on your monthly payment. Additionally, the same can be said for car insurance. One should never assume they have the best rate on car insurance prices.
Consider refinancing your mortgage- Interest rates on home loans have made several changes over the last few years. With the projection in 2016, it might be a good idea to consider contacting your lender, and refinancing your current mortgage. Interest rates are on the lower-end, which might help save you a few bucks each month from your old rate a few years ago.
Save money in other aspects- There are many other areas where we can save money- like reducing the number of times we eat dinner out per week or cutting back on our cable subscription. Do you use that ongoing satellite radio subscription as much as you anticipated? Think of areas of your life where you are paying for things that you can do away with, or eliminate. There are always a few that can be improved on.
As a general rule, it's important that we are educated and fully informed before we are faced with financial decisions that could impact the rest of our life. There are many financial decisions that mostly all of us must make each year, These decisions vary depending on our age and activities in which we engage in. Some may face decisions this year that include college enrollment, deciding on loan repayment plans, buying a first car or home, or planning for retirement. Regardless of your stage in life, you should always seek the correct resources that can help you make healthy decisions this year, with consideration of future implications that our decisions could affect.