|October 20, 2017|
Photo Size Optimizer
Effect Matrix's Photo Size Optimizer for Mac is a powerful image compression application.
I found about the application because it was one of the applications that I picked in this summer's BundleHunt.
Description from Effect Matrix's site:
Photo Size Optimizer for Mac, a powerful photo resizer, and optimizer, allows you to optimize all your photos by 80% ~ 20% compared to their originals while keeping their original resolution, quality and png, jpg, gif formats. With IMAGEmini, you can save huge space and share full-resolution photos with your friends much faster. It supports 70 types of image formats for re-sizing.
Sample Application Screenshot
Nine Things I Learned About Photo Size Optimizer
- There's no documentation or help files with the application, you basically have to play around with the application to understand how to use it. Fortunately, most of it is straight forward.
- You have no control over the compression. Basically you accept the savings that the application suggest.
- There's two functionalities, Resize & Squeezer and Lossless Photo Squeezer.
- Resize & Squeezer - will resize a bunch of images and resize them to a 10 different options. You can also add a custom option. Note: The resize option is for all the images that you dragged and drop, you can't set different demensions per image.
- Lossless Photo Squeezer - Use this when you only want to shrink the file size and not the dimensions.
- I found that Affinity Photo, GraphicConverter OmniGraffle offered better compression.
- OmniGraffle and Graphic Converter offer previews to see how stronger compression may not impact the image. I was able to get better compression using other applications.
- Some people may have problems installing the application because the application isn't registered. When I tried to open it I got a warning: "Photo Size Optimizer.app" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
- You can't compress animated GIF files with Photo Size Optimizer.
It's really hard to justify paying $29.99 for this application. You'll get better compress and more features in other applications. The application is useful when I want to quickly shrink a file and not have to play around with different settings - basically: "Set it and forget it."
In the long run, your better off buying and using GraphicConverter for $10 more.
Effect Matrix offers a 10 days Free Trial with Full Features if you download it from their website.
The full version is $29.99.
Add your Comments
Feel free to leave a comment about this post.