The latest iPhone XS Max is using the 802.11ac WiFi speed. Which is pretty fast, it can download files at 1 Gbps compared to 600 Mbps using the old standards. It's the latest and greatest WiFi speed that has been available for a few years.
How WiFi Speeds has changed since 1999
Seven things I Learned about 802.11ac
- Available since June 2012 in some laptops, most popular adoption came in 2013 when Apple announced MacBook Pro would be using the 802.11ac band
- The IEEE naming convention has 802.11ac is now called Wi-Fi 5.
- Apple has been using the 802.11ac standard in iPhones since the iPhone 6.
- Google WiFi has support for 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. The iPhone automatically picks ups the higher WiFi standard.
- The 802.11ac range is only 140-feet
- You can test your Speed using Verizon or SpeedTest.Net iOS App.
- The latest Wi-Fi technology is 802.11ax, otherwise known as Wi-Fi 6. There is no router or hardware that is using this.
Add your Comments
Feel free to leave a comment about this post.