Do you want to write better blogs?
One way, is to use a program like Hemingway. Its purpose is to help you write better sentences.
How Hemingway Works
Information From their website:
Hemingway makes your writing bold and clear. It's like a spellchecker, but for style. It makes sure that your reader will focus on your message, not your prose.
Too often, our words are like our thoughts — innumerable and disorganized. Almost any bit of writing could use some cutting. Less is more, etc.
So, the Hemingway Editor will highlight (in yellow and red) where your writing is too dense. Try removing needless words or splitting the sentence into two. Your readers will thank you.
Abraham Lincoln would have benefited from the Hemingway App.
Seven Things I Learned
- The Hemingway Application cost $19.99 via the company store. This is a one-time fee, there is no subscription. I purchased it in August 2015 and in January 2017 got a free update.
- You can export the text into 4 formats: Plain text, Markdown, HTML, Word Doc, PDF Document and PDF.
- You can also Publish the document to Medium or WordPress.
- You don't need internet access to use Hemingway - which is the case with Grammarly.
- The sidebar can give you interesting statistics about your content. One stats that I find interesting is the Reading Time. So if you are into SEO, you'll be able to create content that matches the desired reading time. You can get information on the Adverb, Passive Voice, Phrases, and sentence readability.
- Hemingway Editor didn't catch some basic grammar errors. For example, when composing this blog post, I wrote the words better twice, it was caught by Grammarly.
- Hemingway Editor is a good last step in the editing process. I don't see it as a good writing environment to composed content. The Markdown export is really good and clean.
Add your Comments
Feel free to leave a comment about this post.