Gluten Free Restaurant Prompts
Things to Think About When Eating Out
As a parent of a celiac, it is important to be vigilant about the food that they eat to avoid consuming any gluten. When eating out, sometimes we forget to ask the right question. So I thought I put together a helpful document. These are mostly reminder prompts something that you would look at before going out as a reminder of what to ask.
Here is a reminder prompt of things you may want to ask a waiter or server when dining out:
- Do you have a separate gluten-free menu? If not, can you please point out the gluten-free options on the regular menu?
- Does the kitchen have a dedicated gluten-free preparation area and cookware to prevent cross-contamination?
- Are there any gluten-containing ingredients in the dish I'm interested in?
- Are any gluten-containing ingredients used in the preparation or cooking of this dish?
- Are any gluten-containing ingredients used in the sauces, dressings, or marinades used in this dish?
- Can you ask the chef or kitchen staff to confirm that the dish is gluten-free?
- Can you ask the chef or kitchen staff to make any necessary substitutions or modifications to make the dish gluten-free?
- Can you confirm that no bread or other gluten-containing foods will be served with my meal?
- Is there a risk of cross-contamination with gluten-containing foods during preparation or serving?
- Can you recommend any gluten-free options for appetizers, entrees, and desserts?
By asking these questions, you can ensure that the food you order is safe for your gluten-free diet and avoid any unwanted exposure to gluten.
Download the PDF
For your convenience, I have created a PDF document that contains the Restaurant Gluten Free reminder prompts. Download the document and keep it handy!