Framingham Historical Building
Information about the Stone Building near the Framingham Centre Commons
On the west side of the Framingham Centre Commons is a large brick building. It is the home of the Framingham Historical Society. It is only open by reservation only.
Eight Fun Facts about this Building
This was the former site of one of the first private schools in Framingham which started in the spring of 1792.
The school was founded by twenty-two associate and by Rev. David Kellogg - who was the third minister of the Church of Christ in Framingham. They formed the "The Proprietors of The Brick School House in Framingham."
It officially became the Framingham Academy in 1798 when the founding Proprietors asked the Massachusetts Legislature to be incorporated as an Academy school.
One of the Academy by-laws stated that "Children od both sexes shall be admitted upon equal terms."
The Brick building was torn down and a new Stone Schoolhouse was built in 1837 and cost $3,000. (In 2019 it would cost $68,633.41)
The Stone Schoolhouse was only used by the Academy for 15-years before the property was sold to the Town of Framingham.
The town of Framingham used the site for the Town High School until 1915 when it was moved to the building next door.
The Framingham Historical Society has leased the building from the town since 1916.
Sign on The Building
On the Building is a green metal sign with the following inscription:
On this spot stood the building erected in 1792 by The Proprietors of the Brick School-House in Framingham. Occupied later by the Framingham Academy incorporated in 1799.
In 1837 The Academy built this school-house it home until 1851 when the Framingham Academy and High School was organized and remained here until 1857.