Shedworx's Smart Converter 2 tool is a great way to convert a media file from one format to another. It's a great quick media converter that just works well.
There are two Smart Converter versions, here's the key difference between the free version and the paid version:
In the Smart Converter Pro 2 version:
- Search Meta-Data files
- Automatically adds meta-data for searching
- Subtitle support
- Supports Multiple audio tracks
- Define a different output location (You can avoid iTunes!)
- Disable the ability to add media files to iTunes
- Surround Sound support
- Folder Monitoring (Have Smart Converter run everytime a file is placed in a folder.)
Smart Converter Pro provides a faster, higher quality conversion than every other converter:
- It's so smart - only converts stuff that needs converting, and leaves the rest alone--this means it's very fast and maintains the highest possible quality of video and audio.
- Simple to use - drag, drop and click convert - Smart Converter Pro looks after the rest.
- Movie and TV Show info - automatically add key info and artwork for your movies and TV shows.
- Folder monitoring - automatically convert movies as they are added to nominated folders.
- Subtitles - include subtitles, add external subtitles and even load subtitles from the web!
- Supports 100's of media formats and converts to all your favourite devices and file types, including AppleTV, iPad, iPhone, Smart TV, PS3 and more.
- iTunes Savvy - auto import your converted movies and music to iTunes.
Quick and Easy
I like Smart Converter because It can easily convert classic media files - such as Real Media files to MP4. It's a quick way to once again access old media files. (Without Smart Converter I would have to wait for Quicktime to convert old Sorxxx codec videos)
I also use Smart Converter to extract audio from MOV files. Useful when I just want the soundtrack and not have to watch the movie.
Haven't upgrade to the Pro version because I don't have the need for all the features of going pro. If you have a lot of files that need converting, then going pro is the way to go.
My Tips and Tricks
Some video screen capture files done in Snagit will not convert well. Apparently, there's a lot of masking between shots This means that you'll see some strange views in your final output.. (Not Smart Converter problem as Quicktime will have this same issue.) I have found ElMedia Player as a good converter in these cases.
Keep in mind that the final conversation is only as good as the source. Smart Converter can't make a video compress with Sorenson Codec look better in MP4.
Some mp4 files will not convert to audio-only. Haven't figured out why this is the case. ) I use Fission to extract the audio.
If you're not able to find your audio clip in iTunes it's because iTunes thinks it's a movie file.
Supports Converting 177 Media Types!
Here are all the file formats extensions supported by either version of Smart Converter:
avi, mp4, mkv, mts, m2ts, m4v, mp3, m4a, mov, flv, mpa, wmv, wma, wav, 3gp, 3g2, 3gp, 4xm, IFF, ISS, MTV, RoQ, aac, ac3, adts, aea, aiff, alaw, amr, anm, apc, ape, asf, asf_stream, ass, au, avi, avm2, avs, bethsoftvid, bfi, bink, c93, caf, cavsvideo, cdg, crc, daud, dirac, dnxhd, dsicin, dts, dv, dvd, dxa, ea, ea_cdata, eac3, f32be, f32le, f64be, f64le, ffm, film_cpk, filmstrip, flac, flic, flv, framecrc, gif, gsm, gxf, h261, h263, h264, idcin, image2, image2pipe, ingenient, ipmovie, ipod, iv8, lmlm4, m4v, mkv, matroska, mjpeg, mlp, mm, mmf, mov, mov, mp4, m4a, 3gp, 3g2, mj2, mp2, mp3, mp4, mpc, mpc8, mpeg, mpeg1video, mpeg2video, mpegts, mpegtsraw, mpegvideo, mpjpeg, msnwctcp, mulaw, mvi, mxf, mxf_d10, nc, nsv, null, nut, nuv, ogg, oma, psp, psxstr, pva, qcp, r3d, rawvideo, rcv, rl2, rm, rpl, rtp, rtsp, s16be, s16le, s24be, s24le, s32be, s32le, s8, sdp, shn, siff, smk, sol, sox, spdif, svcd, swf, thp, tiertexseq, tmv, truehd, tta, txd, u16be, u16le, u24be, u24le, u32be, u32le, u8, vc1, vc1test, vcd, vmd, voc, vqf, w64, wav, wc3movie, webm, wsaud, wsvqa, wv, xa, yop,
Getting Smart Converter
Add your Comments
Feel free to leave a comment about this post.