29 November 1990
The Security Council,
Recalling and reaffirming its resolutions 660 (1990) of 2 August 1990, 661 (1990) of 6 August 1990, 662 (1990) of 9 August 1990, 664 (1990) of 18 August 1990, 665 (1990) of 25 August 1990, 666 (1990) of 13 September 1990, 667 (1990) of 16 September 1990, 669 (1990) of 24 September 1990, 670 (1990) of 25 September 1990, 674 (1990) of 29 October 1990 and 677 (1990) of 28 November 1990,
Noting that, despite all efforts by the United Nations, Iraq refuses to comply with its obligation to implement resolution 660 (1990) and the
above-mentioned subsequent resolutuions, in flagrant contempt of the Security Council,
Mindful of its duties and responsiblities under the Charter of the United Nations for the maintenance and preservation of international peace and security.
Determined to secure full compliance with its decisions, Acting under the Chapter VII of the Charter,
- Demands that Iraq comply fully with resolution 660 (1990) and all subsequent relevant resolutions, and decides, while maintaining all its decisions, to allow Iraq one final opportunity, as a pause of goodwill, to do so;
- Authorizes Member States co-operating with the Government of Kuwait, unless Iraq on or before 15 January 1991 fully implements, as set forth in paragraph 1 above, the foregoing resolutions, to use all necessary means to uphold and implement resolution 660 (1990) and all subsequent relevant resolutions and to restore international peace and security in the area;
- Requests all States to provide appropriate support for the actions undertaken in pursuance of paragraph 2 of the present resolution;
- Requests the States concerned to keep the Security Council regularly informed on the progress of actions undertaken pursuant to paragraphs 2 and 3 of the present resolution;
- Decides to remain seized of the matter.
Adopted by 12 votes to two (Cuba and Yeman), with one abstention (China)