Framingham Postings - Page 2
|Earliest: December 15, 2009||Latest: September 9, 2021||Total: 166|
It?s been a while since I posted about COVID-19. Things are much better and most restaurants are now fully open for indoor seating.
Just because the COVID-19 numbers are down, it doesn?t mean that it?s ok to go back to normal. People should stay vigilant against COVID-19.
Interesting COVID-19 Facts
City of Framingham COVID Numbers: 8,352 Cases, 250 Deaths, & 83 Active Cases
Framingham currently has about 74,500 residents.
June 12 was the first time that Framingham reported zero COVI-19 cases.
April 2, 2021, was the last time Framingham was in the red (High-Risk Zone)
March 26, 2020 was the first reported COVID-19 fatality.
According to the Massachusetts Department of Health statistical numbers, Framingham is one of nine cities in Massachusetts to have a large number of COVID-19 cases.
Framingham has been classified as Red since August 24th. The Average Daily Incidence of Rat per 100,000 is 10.9.
To be in red, the Average daily case rate over the last 14 days: 8 cases per 100,000 population. To be in yellow, the Average daily case rate over the last 14 days: 4-8 cases per 100,000 population.
This means that have to drop at least 3 percentage points in the 14-day Average Incidence rate.
What?s Red Mean?
Schools, public and private are not allowed to hold in classroom learning. Schools can only hold 15% of their maximum capacity. Saint Bridget School and Keefe Tech had both plans on opening with in-classroom learning. Both schools had to shift to remote start.
Schools are not allowed to go to full in-classroom learning until Framingham is at least yellow for two consecutive weeks.
There are no changes for businesses or churches at this time.
This is the second week in a row that the city of Framingham has been in the Red. The First time Framingham went red, Mayor Yvonne M. Spicer took to Twitter to spread the word:
This is the followup Tweet when Framingham made the listed for the second week in a row:
There hasn't been any other notable differences in actions.
Saint Bridget School Variety Show
In these crazy times it?s nice to see that there are some schools doing things to keep the student body connected.
At Framingham?s Saint Bridget School, the students and faculty recently participated in a variety show. This event had a great turn out and featured some talented acts.
This event, among others, is helping bring together students in these challenging times.
Check out the variety show
Check out the Variety Show on YouTube.com.
Boston Mile Marker in Framingham
Near the Minuteman Statue, at the corner of Union Ave and Main Street, is an Old Stone Mile Marker. This tells you how far away from Boston you are.
Five Things I Learned
There are 40 markers throughout the Boston Area and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. At one time there were at least 99 that once existed.
These markers trace back to the early days of the country and were placed by the Massachusetts Council Order in 1767. They were used to help people navigate their way to Boston.
In 2015, the MassDOT restored 29 the old Stone Mile Markers the project was completed in 2018. The stones were restored were the original stones as the preservation work was done to the strict standards of the Interior's Standards for Preservation.
The mile market at this location reads: "23 miles from Boston 1768"
You can find all sorts of information on the National Register of Historic Places on their website.
A closer look at the Stone Marker, you can make out the letters. Keep in mind that this is 252 years old!
The Framingham F
Driving around town, fou may have seen this 'F' painted on some driveways around Framingham, such as this one on Crest Road:
Fun Facts About this Design
- In 2018, the Framingham Youth Basketball sponsored the citywide campaign as a Community Pride Fundraiser.
- A donation of $25 would get the painted F on the driveway or any location that you choose.
- The 2-color "F" is 3-feet tall.
- The logo was supposed to last about 6-months, however, they are still visible 2-years later.
CoronaVirus in Framingham
Note: All week long we are covering the impact of the CoronoVirus. It's the biggest story of March, and has a lot of Framingham residents in their homes participating in the Social Distancing.
Today in Massachusetts there are 218 Confirmed cases of the CoronaVirus. There are 1,083 people that are subject to quarantine.
Of the 19 counties in Massachusetts, Middlesex County has the most reported: 89.
In Framingham there are now four reported cases. According to Sam Song, the Framingham Director of Public Health, all reported cases are under self-quarantine
The city of Framingham Board of Health now limits the in-person meetings. This means that City Council members will be conducting remote meetings. As of today, March 17, 2020, the City Hall Building and related Public Buildings are now closed to the public.
You can find the latest information on the status of the CoronaVirus on the Framingham.gov website.
The city will continue to monitor the situation and reevaluate the need to close the public buildings - Trash Pickup and access to the parks are not impacted
Framingham Historical Building
On the west side of the Framingham Centre Commons is a large brick building. It is the home of the Framingham Historical Society. It is only open by reservation only.
Eight Fun Facts about this Building
This was the former site of one of the first private schools in Framingham which started in the spring of 1792.
The school was founded by twenty-two associate and by Rev. David Kellogg - who was the third minister of the Church of Christ in Framingham. They formed the "The Proprietors of The Brick School House in Framingham."
It officially became the Framingham Academy in 1798 when the founding Proprietors asked the Massachusetts Legislature to be incorporated as an Academy school.
One of the Academy by-laws stated that "Children od both sexes shall be admitted upon equal terms."
The Brick building was torn down and a new Stone Schoolhouse was built in 1837 and cost $3,000. (In 2019 it would cost $68,633.41)
The Stone Schoolhouse was only used by the Academy for 15-years before the property was sold to the Town of Framingham.
The town of Framingham used the site for the Town High School until 1915 when it was moved to the building next door.
The Framingham Historical Society has leased the building from the town since 1916.
Sign on The Building
On the Building is a green metal sign with the following inscription:
On this spot stood the building erected in 1792 by The Proprietors of the Brick School-House in Framingham. Occupied later by the Framingham Academy incorporated in 1799.
In 1837 The Academy built this school-house it home until 1851 when the Framingham Academy and High School was organized and remained here until 1857.
Framingham Tercentenary Marker
On Waverly Street, Route 135, in Framingham there is a historical marker near the Framingham/Natick town line. This marker was installed in the 1930s to remind people of the history of Framingham.
Eight Interesting Things About the Marker
- In 1930, 275 markers were installed around the state to mark the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- Offically these markers are called "Tercentenary Markers"
- The Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission was formed in 1928 with Former Attorney General Herbert Parker as the Chairman. Samuel E. Morison, a professor of history at Harvard University, was the commission history advisor.
- Framingham has designated three signs by the Tercentenary Commission: Thomas Eames, Pike-Haven Homestead and the Framingham Sign.
- There is supposed to be similar Framingham Sign on Route 126 near the Framingham/Ashland line but that sign is now missing.
- These markers are carefully made of cast iron, with raised letters on both sides and a black border. The seal of the Commonwealth, in blue and gold, is on top.
- The markers were put up by the Massachusetts Department of Public Works. The department was allocated $15,000 in the 1930 budget for the signs. There has been no amount allocated for maintaining the signs or replacing them.
- The markers are located as far north as Amesbury, far west as Deerfield and as far South as Quincy.
This is the text on the sign
In 1660 and 1662 a large part of the present town was granted to Thomas Danforth of Cambridge, Deputy Governor of Massachu-setts, President of the District of Maine and Treasurer of Harvard College. Named after Framingham, Suffolk, in 1675.
Melting Pot (Framingham)
The Melting Pot is a Fondue restaurant chain that offered heated pots of cheese, chocolate for dipping and cooking. Gues could pick out their own broth or chocolate treats.
Once really nice thing about the Melting Pot is that they offer good gluten-free options - even for dessert! They had delicious gluten-free brownies that could be dipped into various chocolate sauces.
On February 18, 2020, the Melting Pot in Framingham closed its door. This was a surprise move as most people found out about it via social media and local news reporting.
Five Things I Have Learned
- The popular restaurant first opened in early December, 2006. It was the first Melting Pot location in Massachusetts.
- The Melting Pot had a lot of great choices and was a popular place to eat on a weekend night. For most consumers it would be a two-hour experience.
- They not only offered fine food, but they had a fine wine and mix drink selection. Everytime that we went we would be impressed with the wine selection that the waiter offered.
- Today the is only Massachusetts location and it's located in Bedford, Massachusetts. (At the corner of Route 62 and the Massachusetts Turnpike.)
- A restaurant called the Melting Pot opened on January, 14, 2020 in Cambridge. However, a month later the owners put in a request to change the name of the restaurant to Base Crave. This is probably because it was not affiliated with the national chain. Base Craze serves Nepalese food, not Fondue.
Massachusetts State Troopers Monument
The Massachusetts State Police General Headquarters campus (GHQ) is located just off of Route 9 in Framingham. At the Police Headquarters is a small memorial to the Massachusetts State Troopers who have fallen in the line of duty.
Four Things I Learned
- Memorial was placed in 1960. They have been 21 Massachusetts State Troopers who have died since 1960.
- I wasn't able to find any information about the memorial or why it was placed at the location. There don't appear to be any special ceremony around the memorial.
- There are no names around the memorial, the memorial in Boston has the Trooper's names.
- Sergeant James H. Marshal was the only trooper to die in 1960. Prior to that, it was Patrolman Wallace E. Mathews who died on April 23, 1953.
Text of Memorial
Here's the text on the memorial:
In memory of those state troopers who have completed their last patrol and have gone before us. May they Rest in Peace in the Company of God.
Former Mass. State Troopers