Top Ten Lessons Learned
Lesson List from the 1990s
Top lessons we've learned about large-scale internal Web deployment.
Web deployments can be tricky, especially when you're dealing with a large scale. Here are some of the top lessons we've learned about deploying Web applications:
- Web use has a very different dynamic than other services - publishine and browsing are much easier, base technology is simpler, so many will
- Your focus will need to be on how to sustain this work over the long term, and for many people.
- A combination of risk-taking, planning and ongoing attention are needed.
- Focusing on one group (at least to start) helps to simplify/focus.
- This is more than just a technical challenge, and will require a cross-functional team.
- End users want it to be as simple and straightforward as possible, and won't share your enthusiasm for details, neat tools.
- Anticipate new roles and skills - information finder, information seekers, information designers, graphics people, integration experts....
- Keep up with the constant changes in technology.
- Contimually push thinking - see how others are using new tools (e.g personalized newspapers, subscriptions, audio, movie, new categories....)
- Sell, sell, sell - be an evangelist! Listen to what people need! "Just do it!"