Domain Expired Voicemail
Getting a strange voicemail to register your domain? Ignore it.
This week I got a strange voicemail. What made is strange is that when I got the call it showed up as No Caller ID and only rang once. Moments later a voice message was left.
Took a screenshot when the call came in, and then later of the message that was left.
"Um hi this is Karen this is an urgent message your domain registration is set to expire within trying to reach you regarding your business domain renewal you can use our automated system to renew your domain quickly when you get a moment to call us back please return this call at 1-888-202-5979 again the number is 1-888-202-5979 thank you"
Scam Scam Scam
This has nothing to do with domain registration. What they are trying to do is to trick you into registering into an SEO search program.
Here's What I Learned
- This whole scam is getting people to register Clearly they don't want you to answer the phone. The message sounds automated.
- When you call the number left in the message they use Caller ID to figure out who you are.
- They send you another text message to click on a link
- The link takes you to a page to let you know what's really going on.
- It's that page that gives you the official information.
- Don't register for the service - much of what is offered can be done for free. (You shouldn't be paying $75 to register a website. If you want to get on Google you can simply request Google to Register Your Site. )
- If a company goes through all this deceptive practice to get your business- how legit are they?
- I am pretty sure that the company will sell the phone number information.
Text on the Final Order Page
This is the text that appears on the final order page:
This letter is to inform you that it's time to send in your search engine registration for ***.boston.
Failure to complete your search engine registration by March 17, 2019, may result in the cancellation of this offer (making it difficult for your customers to locate you using search engines on the web).
Your registration includes search engine submission for ***.boston for 1 year. You are under no obligation to pay the amount stated above unless you accept this offer by March 17, 2019. This notice is not an invoice. It is a courtesy reminder to register ***.boston for search engine listing so that your customers can locate you on the web.
My domain isn't expiring, I registered it back on October on GoDaddy - apparently, other GoDaddy customers are getting these messages.
This is the Registration information of the company behind the website.
contact: administrative name: Muhammad Neil El Himam organisation: Ministry of Communication and Information Technology address: Jalan Medan Merdeka Barat No.17 address: Jakarta Pusat DKI Jakarta 10110 address: Indonesia phone: +62 82111610360 fax-no: +62 21 3835845 e-mail: email@example.com