iPhone Xs Postings
|Earliest: October 3, 2018||Latest: July 17, 2019||Total: 41|
Did you know that you can create your own Memoji on the iPhone XS Max? These are fun to create and to send to people in messenger.
Couple of examples
Note: You can only create Memoji on Phone X or later, or iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation). However, anyone can receive it - even Android users.
Creating your Own Memoji
- Open up Message and start creating a message.
- Select the Monkey Emoji icon.
- Scroll to the right until you see the '+' with the words "New Memoji" underneath.
- Click on the '+' and start creating your own Memoji.
Have fun creating!
Using your Memoji Elsewhere
Here are the simple steps if you want to use your Memoji elsewhere - Slack Profile Picture or Jira Profile Photo. Unfortunately, there's no "export" Memoji process.
- Open up Message and start creating a message.
- Select the Monkey Emoji icon.
- Find your personal Memoji and then click on the three dots on the bottom left. This will bring up the Memoji editor.
- Take a screen shot and crop the image around the Memoji
- Export the image to someplace (Email, Dropbox, or Airdrop to your desktop computer.)
- Now when you go to the applications you can use that picture.
- Optional: Use PhotoScape X, or other app, to remove the white background.
Perhaps in a future release of iOS Apple will make it easy to export the Memoji.
True Depth Camera
According to Apple Technical documents, the "backside" camera is simply called camera and the camera that is on the top of the screen is called "TrueDepth Camera." Some people may still refer to it as the FaceTime camera.
Knowing the "official" name is important when your searching Apple website for support help or information.
All the cool things at the top of your iPhone XS Max
TrueDepth Camera Main Use
The iPhone XS Max TrueDepth Camera is used for facial recognition. It's how the device tries to identify that you are a real person and not a picture. So someone can't fool the devices with a picture of you.
The dot projector throws up to 30,000 points on your face during a scan.
Apple hasn't given any specifics on the functionality of the Flood Illuminator. Some people believe helps the camera in putting together the background in Portrait mode. There is some speculation that it also helps with "Attention Aware Features" that is - make sure your actually looking at the phone before dimming the display to save power.
iPhone XS Max TrueDepth Camera Specs
Pictures taken with the TrueDepth camera have a dimension of 3088x2316, which is pretty good.
Here's a handy chart from PicMonkey on the best size for printing photos:
As you can see, when taking pictures using the "True Depth" lens, the best printing size is 9x16. (Which really isn't all that bad of a size)
Four Tips and Tricks with the TrueDepth Camera
When taking Portrait Mode Selfies, you may find that Apple's Camera app has better results than Apps found in the Apple Store. This is because the third-party apps do not have full access to the full depth map that is used to create the Portrait Mode effects. The apps do have general depth information, but you may find that Apple's Camera may produce clearer facial pictures. (Try it out and see!)
Apple's Clips offers a cool Selfie background effect called Scenes. You can place yourself in places such as Municiberg Mayhem, Metropolis, Millennium Falcon, 8-Bit, Tea Garden and many more.
Games - There are some games that use the effect of TrueDepth camera:
- Rainbrow, a game that you control with your Eyebrow.
- Nose Zone, your face is the controller, and your expressions shoots lasers.
- detune, make music with your face.
You can add a second face to the Face ID by setting up an "Alternative Appearance." Located in the Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Warning: if you don't want the second person to access the device anymore you have to reset both Face IDs.
iPhone Video Capture
One of the nice things about the iPhone XS Max is the video quality. Users have the ability to select from six different video quality:
- 720p HD at 30 fps - Standard (1280 x 720 pixels)
- 1080p HD at 30 fps - Default Section
- 1080p HD at 60 fps - Produces Smoother videos. Better for Capture-to-Photo
- 4K at 24 fps - Film Style
- 4K at 30 fps - Higher Quality Film Style
- 4K at 60 fps - Smoother Videos but takes a lot of disk space
Higher resolution means more detail in each frame
Good Video also Means good Photo Opportunity
The good thing about taking a high quality video is that you can get a high quality capture. So you can share a good frame.
A standard screen capture on the iPhone XS Max will give you an image dimension of 2688 x 1242, which isn't all that bad since a standard photo taken on the iPhone XS Max is 4032 x 3024.
Simply watch the video, pause it, wait for a few seconds for the pause icon to go away and do a screen capture.
Combination of iPhone XS Max and Procam 6 produces very cool photos.
One Step Better
If you have ProCam 6, you can take a better picture because with ProCam you can take a snapshot of the video at 3840 x 2160 (4k).
Steps to Capture a Video using ProCam
- Open up ProCam and click on the image on the bottom left
- Find the Video that you want (Video folder is a good starting point.)
- Click Edit on the bottom right - Don't worry your not editing the video
- Now scroll or Play the video to the point you want to capture.
- Click on the Down icon - to the right of the Play icon.
- A new file was created in the Camera Roll
The nice thing about this is that you can do the photo creative on the iPhone. Previously I would have to download this to the computer and watch it full screen to get the best resolution.
This is a good technique to use when the subject matter is hard to capture. For example, taking a class picture of a bunch of school kids. You can search for the perfect shot.
In the above situation, I had my iPhone XS Max on a Monopod and was scanning the crowd. It would have been tricky to find the right time to take a picture.
One of the Location technology in the iPhone XS Max is iBeacon micro-location. It's been mention in the iPhone technical specification since 2013.
What is it? How has it gotten better in the iPhone XS Max?
What is iBeacon
The concept of iBeacon is to allow retail establishments to interact with your mobile device based on your location. There is a base station in the establishment that interacts with apps on your phone.
Let's say you're in Target and looking at the TVs displays. Wouldn't it be great to know something more about the different models? Well If you open up the Target App, it will load up the TV Spec page. This is because there's a nearby beacon that's informing the app that you're looking at the TVs.
Your at the airport looking for something to eat. You get a notification that Legal Seafood got a large clam shipment and running a special. This is because you have the airport app open, perhaps to find an eating establishment, and your nearby a Legal Seafood restaurant.
Some places that have installed Beacons: Walmart, Target, Rite Aid, Best Buy, Sports Stadiums - including Fenway Park. NFL Stadiums, NBA Arenas, and NHL arenas have them.
Note: Beacons only work when you use their apps, they can't spam your phone if you don't have the app open.
Getting Your Own iBeacon
If you're a developer, you can buy your own iBeacon base station to do all sorts of creative things to your own apps. iBeacon NYVIDA Bluetooth Beacon is one such device.
iBeacon is Dying?
It's very possible that the next version of iPhone may not include iBeacon technology. This is because some retail establishments are removing the Beacon stations as consumers have privacy concerns. In addition, the beacon signal has a limited range and can easily be interfered by people or objects.
Not dead yet
Just last week Waze announced that they are installing beacons inside NYC tunnels to help navigations - drivers can stay connected and make sure they take the right exit in the tunnel.
Hillsdale College announced the use of beacons to notify students of an emergency situation. Students and Faculty are notified if they are on campus - which avoids spamming people that may not be anywhere near campus.
Looking for Beacon Apps
BeaconStac has a list of the 5 Best iBeacon Apps that are leading the field. It's a good place to learn more about technology and other potential uses. The article is four years old, but I think it's still a good place to learn what cool functionality that developers are using iBeacon for.
iPhone XS Max Microphones
The iPhone XS Max now has the ability to record in stereo thanks to the many microphones that are included. The only way to enable the stereo microphones is to enable the "Record Stereo Sound? feature in the Settings > Camera. This appears to be a feature exclusive to Apple Camera.
Not always in Stereo
In my testing I noticed that videos aren't always used stereo sound. I think this is because the iPhone determines if stereo needs to be enabled. So if I am talking in a room by myself the phone may not be enabled, but if I record the crowd at Fenway Park it will certainly be in stereo.
Third Party Apps Stereo Support
Developers haven't been able to add stereo sound support since Apple hasn't made that feature available in iOS API. Hopefully in a future update that developers will be able to use the feature available only in iPhone XS.
Where are the Microphones on the iPhone XS Max?
This diagram shows the location of the Microphones on the iPhone XS Max:
What about Audio files?
Apple?s Voice Memos app is still recording sound in Mono format. If your looking for a more powerful audio capture application try GarageBand.
Apple has been shipping all their hardware products with Bluetooth 5 since 2017. This includes iPhone X, MacBooks, and the HomePod.
What's New About Bluetooth5?
The Bluetooth 5 spec allows low-energy transmissions to sacrifice data rate for more range. A lot more range: up to four times the range of Bluetooth 4.2 LE. That?s a technical maximum, mind you. In the real world, you can expect much less, though it?s still going to be a huge improvement over older versions of Bluetooth.
Supporting a faster speed at the expense over a range makes it easier to connect multiple devices to a source. For example, Amazon Alexa Show show can appreciate having multiple devices connected to play music from different phones.
Best Range for Bluetooth Devices
The ideal range for Bluetooth 5 is 800 feet - as long as there are no obstructions. Which is more than 2 football fields in length.
The longest home run at Fenway Park is 502-feet - That's how far the Ted William's red seat is from home plate!
Keep in mind is both devices have to support BlueTooth 5 to get the long range. If the source only supports Bluetooth 4.1 you'll only get 330 feet.
Key Functionality of Bluetooth 5
Bluetooth 5 is igniting the "Internet of Things" products. These are small electronic devices that allow smart phones to interact with them.
Some Popular "Internet of Things" examples
- Nest Learning Thermostat - Bluetooth is use during setup.
- Amazon Alexa Show - Connect additional speakers or iPhone to play music
- Apple TV - Connect Headphones, Keyboards and remotes
- Samsung SmartTV - Connect Headphone, Bluetooth enabled Soundbars and Game Controllers
- Toyota - Connect your phone to enable Internet and access your contacts.
Bluetooth 5 will help bring more exciting technology to the consumer living rooms.
iPhone XS Max Bluetooth
After Apple started shipping the iPhone XS Max some consumers were reporting issues with the iPhone dropping the Bluetooth connection. Apple has fixed some of the software issues in related iOS updates. The appears to have subsided and recently only a few users have reported issues.
GPS on the iPhone
Apple's iPhone used four different location functionalities: Assisted GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and QZSS.
These are used to identify your exact location and used by any application that uses the Location settings.
These are the exact same services that were on the iPhone 6s Plus. The iPhone XS Max doesn't add any new location services or functionality.
The location support hasn't changed much over the years. I thought it would be interesting to learn a bit more about each of the location services on the iPhone.
What is Assisted GPS?
Assisted GPS makes location tracking faster and uses other sources to correctly identify the location of the phone. For example, if you're in a shopping mall, you may not have a strong GPS signal. Assisted GPS will use Cell Tower distance as well as ISP information to pinpoint your exact location.
Assisted GPS functionality is actually a hidden cost that your cellular provider will charge you. On Verizon, this will appear as "Time & Location" under System Services. On other providers, they may show it as "data access." To cut down on the amount of "data access" simply disable location services to Apps where you don't need them.
Assisted GPS is a FCC requirement to make cell phone location data available for 911 operators.
There are 31 active GPS satellites in orbit.
What is GLONASS
GLONASS is an acronym for Globalnaya Navigatsionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema which translates to Global Navigation Satellite System. It's a GPS system developed by the Russian Federation in the 1980s.
It's an alternative Global tracking system to help with precision location tracking. By itself, it's not a strong as the standard GPS system. However, combined with the standard GPS system, it helps the accuracy of the location coverage.
There are 24 active satellites in orbit.
What is Galileo
Galileo was created so that the European Union wouldn't have to depend on the United States GPS system. Initially, the civilian signal was stronger than the GPS. In 2000, that changed when President Clinton changed the GPS civilian access to be the same as the military access.
Galileo has 18 operational satellites available all around the world.
There are currently 18 satellites in orbit.
What is QZSS?
The Quasi-Zenith Satellite System is a project of the Japanese government for the development of a four-satellite regional time transfer system. Its primary focus area is in the Asia-Oceania region with a focus of Japan.
There are 4 active satellites in orbit.
Evutec Phone Case for iPhone Xs Max
After 3-months, I have settled with a new case for my iPhone XS Max. I now have the Evutec Phone Case for iPhone Xs Max 6.5 inch, [Northill Series] Premium Leather + TPU Shockproof Interior Slim Protective Case-Canvas/Black.
Some of the things I like about the new case:
- It covers the full back, so the Apple logo isn't showing. Nothing against Apple, but if I am going to get a case, I want it to cover the full back and not have a hole to show the Apple logo.
- Easy grip on the sides and back. Very comfortable to hold - the phone won't slip out of your hands
- Wireless charging still works.
- The edge is slightly raised so that if you side the glass side of the phone the screen won't get scratched.
This is the first iPhone that I have purchased where I am not going to get put on a front screen protector. The protector on my last phone came off about a year ago and I didn't encounter any scratch issues with the screen.
The iPhone XS Max is using Corning's Gorilla Glass 6. It's been shown to be the most scratch resistant and shatter resistant glass ever available on any smartphone.
Portrait Mode is the ability to take a picture of a person and have the background blurred out. This cool effect uses both cameras on the iPhone XS Max and figures out the foreground and background. Portrait Mode is available in the rear and front camera.
You have control of the background Depth using the built-in editor.
Using Portrait Mode on the iPhone XS Max, I was able to take a great picture of our dog.
Eight Things I learned about using Portrait Mode
- When using the rear camera, It's best to stand 8-feet away from the subject to get the best focus.
- The rear camera has better quality and you'll see more of the background.
- For better effect, make sure the background has some depth. Don't just use a studio backdrop. A park setting or skyline would look very cool. Disney Castle from Main Street USA would be a good opportunity.
- When using the front face camera, it's best to hold the camera three feet (about an arm's length)
- You can't change the blur effect while taking a picture. Afterward, you can change the blurred background using the Edit Mode.
- If you want more control over the background/foreground, use ProCam Editor. You can do cool things such as make the background black and white or even remove the background and make the photo transparent.
- To make modifications to Portrait Mode pictures on MacOS you need macOS 10.13 with Photos 3.0.
- Pictures taken using Portrait Mode are saved as JPEG and not the High-Efficiency Video Compression (HEIC) format.
- If you back up to Google Photos you can change the Depth uploaded. Simply find a photo that was taken in Portrait Mode, Click Edit, the second icon on the bottom right, then click on the same icon, and you'll see the Depth adjustment on the bottom. (Apparently, this isn't available in the Web Version only in Google Photos iOS app)
A12 Bionic chip
One of the main features that Apple announced with the new iPhone XS Max is the use of the A12 Bionic chip. The iPhone 6s Plus has the A9 chip with 64-bit architecture, so the iPhone XS Max chip is 3 generations newer.
Question is, what does the faster chip mean for the average iPhone user? Why difference does a fast chip mean, and what applications perform better using the A12 chip?
The biggest change will be in the applications that use Apple's Machine Learning framework. One of the applications that use Machine Learning a lot is the Homecourt app. Apple promoted at the iPhone XS Max kickoff. This application will watch you play basketball and analyzed the shots you make and miss.
The Facial Recognition technology that is used to unlock the iPhone XS Max is where people will see the biggest improvement with the A12 Bionic chip. The faster chip helps speed up the facial calculations so the phone opens almost immediately.
Machine Learning vs Artificial intelligence
Machine Learning is the ability to learn without being programmed - for example looking at hundreds of facial expressions and knowing which ones match.
Artificial intelligence is when machines/applications perform tasks that are similar to human intelligence.
Apps that Use Machine Learning
- PlantSnap - Plant Identification. It's a great way to find out information on plants in your yard. You can find out how much water it takes to how much sun they need. It's an awesome way to learn about your yard. (It works great with houseplants!) The App is
- Night Sky - AR Guide to the sky right now. You can find out what planets are in the sky and details about them. It's a great learning app about space.