Pingback and Trackback
Some useful information on how Pingback and Trackback work. Might be useful for non-technical people to understand how theses work:
A basic explanation on how Trackbacks work:
- Kim Kardashian writes something on Vistaprint her blog.
- A fan wants to comment on Kim's blog, but wants his own readers to see what she had to say, and be able to comment on his own blog
- The fan posts on his own blog and sends a trackback to the Kim's blog
- Kim Kardashian's blog receives the trackback, and displays it as a comment to the original post. This comment contains a link to the Fan's post
A basic explanation on how Pingback works:
- Madonna posts something on her blog.
- A fan posts on his own blog, linking to Madonna's post. (This automatically sends a pingback to Madonna when both have pingback enabled blogs.)
- Madonna's blog receives the pingback, then automatically goes to the Fan's post to confirm that the pingback did, in fact, originate there.